Skip to main content

Hair Donation - Letting It All Go!

Locks of Love logo - hair donation

I recently hinted on Facebook that I participated in a Locks of Love haircut.  Hair donation is an easy way to give back big time.  Your hair can go to someone in much greater need, while also “lifting” you of the extra weight — figuratively and literally.

For the last two or three years, I’ve really slacked on getting my hair cut.  So I decided to just grow it out long enough to donate when I *do* get it cut.  I did so last year (on Super Bowl Sunday 2012), about six weeks after my son was born, so I had a rich, long head of hair to donate.  This year -after growing it out for 14 months- it wasn’t as long (or lush), but it was a good 10 inches that I don’t miss, but will make a world of difference for someone else.

Hair donations typically benefit children with medical conditions resulting in hair loss.

There are other organizations that accept hair donations, including Pantene Beautiful Lengths and Wigs for Kids.

If you’re looking to donate and live in the Atlanta area, I suggest waiting for May 20, when there will be a hair donation event in Alpharetta.  You can learn more here.  Thanks, Alpharetta Macaroni Kid for letting me know about this one!

hair donation - Locks of Love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

Starting kindergarten is something I’ve gone through twice already with my own kiddos, and there’s definitely some things you can do to help prepare your kiddo for kindergarten, aside from simply ensuring they’re ready for kindergarten .  Getting your child ready for the first day of kindergarten can help make the day, and your morning, go smoothly.  Here are my best practical tips for making the first day of kindergarten a success! Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

{Giveaway} Ross Dress for Less -- How far can $25 go?

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of making another trip to Ross Dress for Less, just in time to see all their back to school gear! Boy, was I blown away -- from organization and storage (things my nerdy-side craves!);  kitchen items (knife set w/kitchen shears $7.99), laundry ($11.99 for an iron and $5.99 for a collapsible ironing board), and  other household items -- perfect for the dorm room;  to outfits at unbeatable prices! Additionally, I saw some great baby items, at amazing prices, too!  Breathable crib bumper ($9.99) and MANY, MANY, MANY name brand, stylish diaper bags ($12.99) (...cute character shirts for the preschool crowd, too!) Minnie Mouse t-shirt - $4.99 And, naturally, I did a little retail therapy myself, AFM style !  (Translation: I raided the clearance rack.  Each top was under $7!) Would you like to shop at Ross? I'm excited to team up with a few great blogging pals to bring you a giveaway for a...

Gift Guide for Toys to Keep Kids Moving

Before I dive in to great toys and activities to keep kids moving, a disclosure: portions of this post are sponsored.  I’ve received a form of compensation in exchange for featuring some of the items in this post; however all opinions, experiences, and bad puns are 100% my own. With kids’ birthdays sneaking up on you, and Christmas being a close -um- nine months away, it’s time to start pondering gift ideas for the kiddos in your life.  If you’re like me, you may be looking for toys and activities that promote getting active, rather than passively sitting in front of a screen.  While I’ve already mentioned games and activities for preschoolers, these toys are geared more for an older crowd, say ages 6 – 106.  😉 Here are some great gifts to keep kids moving, both indoors and outdoors: (Laser) Tag! You’re It!   My kids, particularly my son, enjoy a good game of Laser Tag, and have really dug the Laser X we got for Christmas last year.  We have recently added a few more L...