Skip to main content

Teaching My Child to Brush Her Teeth and Wash Her Hands

kids toothbrush and toothpaste


We successfully tackled potty training about a year and a half ago, so when my daughter started preschool last year, her teacher taught the class a song to help with proper hand washing.  To the tune of Row, Row, Row Your Boat:
Wash, wash, wash your hands,Wash them very clean.Wash the fronts and wash the backs,and even in-between.  Yeah!*
*My daughter and I added the enthusiastic "yeah!"
Carol brushing teeth

We would repeat a few times while she washed, and it served as a good way for her to remember to do a complete, proper hand wash.  

Carol washing hands 1


So, along the same note, we adapted the song to brushing teeth: 
Brush, brush, brush your teeth,Brush them very clean.Brush the tops and brush the bottoms,and even brush your tongue!

Carol washing hands 2

Do you have any clever songs you use with your kids? What ways do you help your kids learn and maintain good hygiene habits?  

Keep on saving!  :o)
--Barbara
**This post may contain affiliate links.**

Comments

  1. Cute! We sing songs for everything. I try to get them to sing the ABCs so they know they've washed long enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! We initially sang the ABCs while brushing teeth, to help her learn them. Actually, she would sit in the hallway and "teach" them to her big Clifford doll. lol :)

      I like the idea of using the ABCs for timing hand washing -- I'll have to give that one a try.

      Delete
  2. Oh we did that too! Only they'd sing VERY fast to get it over with so I went to a timer (for brushing teeth).

    ~Honey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't need a song for my daughter to wash her hands. She could sit there and wash forever!

    Those are great ideas, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Katrina, my daughter LOVES to play in the sink! In fact, if I can't find her, I usually check the bathrooms first, or find she's been there by the plugged drain filled with water still. lol

      The song was really to show her proper technique (wash the fronts, wash the backs, and even in between) -- she's got a very strong auditory memory, so she responds best to verbal prompts. :)

      Delete
  4. I love your photos for this post! Beautiful job, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. When I worked in daycare and babysat my nieces I made up a potty song. It helped them to go potty. It was also fun for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! Katherine! Would you mind sharing the potty song, or was it just a silly "inside joke" kind of song? I'm always looking for good resources to add to my "bag". :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Please gently speak your mind. AFM loves hearing from readers. :o)

Popular posts from this blog

{Giveaway} Ross Dress for Less -- How far can $25 go?

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of making another trip to Ross Dress for Less, just in time to see all their back to school gear! Boy, was I blown away -- from organization and storage (things my nerdy-side craves!);  kitchen items (knife set w/kitchen shears $7.99), laundry ($11.99 for an iron and $5.99 for a collapsible ironing board), and  other household items -- perfect for the dorm room;  to outfits at unbeatable prices! Additionally, I saw some great baby items, at amazing prices, too!  Breathable crib bumper ($9.99) and MANY, MANY, MANY name brand, stylish diaper bags ($12.99) (...cute character shirts for the preschool crowd, too!) Minnie Mouse t-shirt - $4.99 And, naturally, I did a little retail therapy myself, AFM style !  (Translation: I raided the clearance rack.  Each top was under $7!) Would you like to shop at Ross? I'm excited to team up with a few great blogging pals to bring you a giveaway for a...

Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

Starting kindergarten is something I’ve gone through twice already with my own kiddos, and there’s definitely some things you can do to help prepare your kiddo for kindergarten, aside from simply ensuring they’re ready for kindergarten .  Getting your child ready for the first day of kindergarten can help make the day, and your morning, go smoothly.  Here are my best practical tips for making the first day of kindergarten a success! Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

Car Games for Kids

Morning car rides can be daunting if you’re not a morning person, and sometimes even if you ARE a morning person.  Although I believe it’s perfectly ok to let your kids be bored, I also believe it’s important to use moments together wisely.  So we tend to spend our morning car ride having conversations, and playing kids car games that help wake them up and keep them on their toes, AND it’s all done sans technology!  Here I delve beyond “Punch-Buggy Charlie” and the license plate game for some good no-tech car games for kids. Car Games for Kids 20 Questions  –  We each take a turn coming up with a person, place, or thing.  Then the other participants take turns asking yes or no questions to figure out what it is.  If we figure it out before the 20th question, we win; if not, then the person answering the questions wins.  This is a good exercise in making deductions and also figuring out good “category” questions.