Skip to main content

White bean and chicken chili

This week my younger sister came to visit with her 4 month old son.  We met up at my parent’s house right before noon, and my mother made mention of the fact that she forgot to go to the store to pick up something for lunch.  One of my favorite things to do is make meals from random pantry and fridge items.  So I quickly got to work.

white bean chicken chili

First I checked out the fridge and pantry shelves.

white bean chicken chili

white bean chicken chili

There wasn’t much in the fridge other than drinks and condiments, but I did find a bag in the freezer with one large chicken breast.  The pantry had a decent amount of canned goods to work with, so I was confident I could pull something together.

Here’s what I ended up with:

white bean chicken chili

I pulled out some diced tomatoes, white beans, corn and peppers, chicken broth, rice, lime juice, and tortillas.  All the fixings for a southwestern style chicken and bean chili!  In the spice cabinet, I found some cilantro, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin.

Once I had everything together and a plan in mind, this recipe only took about 15 minutes to prepare.  Check out the recipe below!

Cilantro Lime Rice

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups rice

3 cups water

2 tsp lime juice

1/2 tsp cilantro

Directions:

1.  Add all ingredients to a large microwave safe bowl and cover.  Cook on high for 10 minutes.

2.  Stir and cook again for 5 for minutes.

3.  Remove from microwave and set aside.

white bean chicken chili - cilantro lime rice

White Bean and Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

1 large chicken breast

1 Tbs oil

1 can corn with peppers

1 can diced tomatoes

1 can white beans

2 cans chicken broth

1 tsp chili powder

2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp paprika

1 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

2 Tbs cornstarch

1/4 cup water

 

Directions:

1.  Trim chicken of all fat and cut into small cubes.

2.  Heat pot to medium-high and add in oil.

3.  Add chicken to pot and cook until no longer pink.

4.  Drain tomatoes, beans, and corn.  Add to pot.

5.  Season mixture with spices, stirring well to coat.

6.  Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil.

7.  Whisk cornstarch and water together, making sure to break up any lumps.  Add into pot and stir until thickened.

8.  Remove from heat.

 

Tortilla Strips

Ingredients:

2 small tortillas

1 Tbs oil

 

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 450.

2.  Cut tortillas into strips.

3.  Toss with oil until coated.

4.  Spread strips out on a pan and bake until browned.

5. Remove from heat and use to top chili.

 

To serve, place a scoop of rice into each bowl.  Ladle the chili over the rice and top with tortilla strips.  If you have sour cream, it makes a great addition to this tasty dish!

Just because you haven’t gone shopping or you don’t have a meal planned, doesn’t mean that you don’t have the ingredients you need already in your kitchen.  Putting together a last minute meal is easier than it seems, it just requires you to think outside the box!

Click here for a printer friendly version of this recipe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{Giveaway} Ross Dress for Less -- How far can $25 go?

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of making another trip to Ross Dress for Less, just in time to see all their back to school gear! Boy, was I blown away -- from organization and storage (things my nerdy-side craves!);  kitchen items (knife set w/kitchen shears $7.99), laundry ($11.99 for an iron and $5.99 for a collapsible ironing board), and  other household items -- perfect for the dorm room;  to outfits at unbeatable prices! Additionally, I saw some great baby items, at amazing prices, too!  Breathable crib bumper ($9.99) and MANY, MANY, MANY name brand, stylish diaper bags ($12.99) (...cute character shirts for the preschool crowd, too!) Minnie Mouse t-shirt - $4.99 And, naturally, I did a little retail therapy myself, AFM style !  (Translation: I raided the clearance rack.  Each top was under $7!) Would you like to shop at Ross? I'm excited to team up with a few great blogging pals to bring you a giveaway for a...

Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

Starting kindergarten is something I’ve gone through twice already with my own kiddos, and there’s definitely some things you can do to help prepare your kiddo for kindergarten, aside from simply ensuring they’re ready for kindergarten .  Getting your child ready for the first day of kindergarten can help make the day, and your morning, go smoothly.  Here are my best practical tips for making the first day of kindergarten a success! Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

Car Games for Kids

Morning car rides can be daunting if you’re not a morning person, and sometimes even if you ARE a morning person.  Although I believe it’s perfectly ok to let your kids be bored, I also believe it’s important to use moments together wisely.  So we tend to spend our morning car ride having conversations, and playing kids car games that help wake them up and keep them on their toes, AND it’s all done sans technology!  Here I delve beyond “Punch-Buggy Charlie” and the license plate game for some good no-tech car games for kids. Car Games for Kids 20 Questions  –  We each take a turn coming up with a person, place, or thing.  Then the other participants take turns asking yes or no questions to figure out what it is.  If we figure it out before the 20th question, we win; if not, then the person answering the questions wins.  This is a good exercise in making deductions and also figuring out good “category” questions.