Skip to main content

Frugal Parenting: DIY Fathers Day Crafts

For Father’s Day this year, I wanted to continue to impress upon my daughter the importance of ownership of the gifts she gives. Gifts, thank you notes, and various cards hold more meaning to the giver and receiver when made more personable, so I helped my daughter create some cards for her daddy, and both grandfathers this year.  Thus, a DIY Father’s Day craft seemed in order….

DIY Father's Day crafts
Lesson learned: Glue the construction paper to the cardstock FIRST,
to prevent the glue from interfering with the paint!

We sat down, working bit by bit over the span of a few days, creating these cards. I brushed washable paint over her hand to create the “flower”. (The paint acquired, by luck, at a garage sale — a pack of 10 small tubs for a quarter.) Then, while she colored on a few sheets of construction paper (to be used later), I asked her “why do you love daddy?”, recording her responses and offering prompts (basically rephrasing the question) to redirect her when needed.

She helped put down the glue for each step (reciting our glue motto of “just a dot, not a lot!”), then placed the strips with her responses on the paper. It was all glued down to card stock, to make it sturdier. The card stock also served as a quick and simple way for my infant son to put his own stamp on each card, too. 🙂

DIY Father's Day crafts - baby's stamp

We repeated this for a single-flowered card for each of her grandfathers.

DIY Father's Day crafts

The sheets she colored were used as wrapping paper for the two small gifts we got for her daddy. (Since he had actually requested something specific, we indulged him.)

Each card was greeted with great pride by its intended receiver– so much so, that first thing Monday morning the card for her Daddy was proudly displayed at his office. 🙂

Do you have any DIY Fathers Day crafts or gift ideas to share? Please leave a comment here or contact me. I’d love to hear all about it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{Giveaway} Ross Dress for Less -- How far can $25 go?

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of making another trip to Ross Dress for Less, just in time to see all their back to school gear! Boy, was I blown away -- from organization and storage (things my nerdy-side craves!);  kitchen items (knife set w/kitchen shears $7.99), laundry ($11.99 for an iron and $5.99 for a collapsible ironing board), and  other household items -- perfect for the dorm room;  to outfits at unbeatable prices! Additionally, I saw some great baby items, at amazing prices, too!  Breathable crib bumper ($9.99) and MANY, MANY, MANY name brand, stylish diaper bags ($12.99) (...cute character shirts for the preschool crowd, too!) Minnie Mouse t-shirt - $4.99 And, naturally, I did a little retail therapy myself, AFM style !  (Translation: I raided the clearance rack.  Each top was under $7!) Would you like to shop at Ross? I'm excited to team up with a few great blogging pals to bring you a giveaway for a...

Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

Starting kindergarten is something I’ve gone through twice already with my own kiddos, and there’s definitely some things you can do to help prepare your kiddo for kindergarten, aside from simply ensuring they’re ready for kindergarten .  Getting your child ready for the first day of kindergarten can help make the day, and your morning, go smoothly.  Here are my best practical tips for making the first day of kindergarten a success! Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

Car Games for Kids

Morning car rides can be daunting if you’re not a morning person, and sometimes even if you ARE a morning person.  Although I believe it’s perfectly ok to let your kids be bored, I also believe it’s important to use moments together wisely.  So we tend to spend our morning car ride having conversations, and playing kids car games that help wake them up and keep them on their toes, AND it’s all done sans technology!  Here I delve beyond “Punch-Buggy Charlie” and the license plate game for some good no-tech car games for kids. Car Games for Kids 20 Questions  –  We each take a turn coming up with a person, place, or thing.  Then the other participants take turns asking yes or no questions to figure out what it is.  If we figure it out before the 20th question, we win; if not, then the person answering the questions wins.  This is a good exercise in making deductions and also figuring out good “category” questions.