Skip to main content

Super Simple Chicken Pot Pie

So I have literally been on the phone ALL DAY LONG dealing with my children’s insurance company and trying to get some emergency room bills covered.  So, when I realized it was 5:30 and I hadn’t even started dinner, well…..

So I begrudgingly walk rush into the kitchen and start grabbing things off the shelf.  I had some leftover chicken from some quarters I had roasted last week, some canned veggies, two wrinkly squash, 3 carrots, you get the idea.  Thank God I have the ability to make dinner from nothing, because none of this food alone was enough to feed my army!  See the recipe below and the delicious looking pot pie finale!

Super simple chicken pot pie

Super Simple Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:

2 cups chicken (chopped, shredded, canned, whatever you have on hand)

1 can corn, drained

1 can green beans, drained

1 can evaporated milk (I used skim)

2 wrinkly squash-that-should’ve-been-thrown-out-but-they-aren’t-moldy-just-yet (or fresh, ya know, whatever), chopped

3 carrots, chopped (preferably from the back bottom of your fridge, hiding under cheese and leftovers)

1 container of Bob Evans Garlic Mashed Potatoes (got them for dirt cheap, otherwise I’d use 2 big potatoes)

2 cans of cheap-o store brand biscuits (or some bisquick mix, if you’ve got that on hand)

 

Directions:

Set the biscuits aside.

Dump everything else in a big bowl and microwave it for 5 minutes.

(I like to add in garlic and onion powder, parsley, salt and pepper as well.  Be creative!)

Stir, then pour into a pan, and cover with the biscuits.

Pop it in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes.

Relax.

Take a bubble bath.

Shave your legs.

Let’s be realistic.  Run around cleaning up the table so there’s room to eat.

20 minutes later, pull that delicious smelling pot pie out of the oven and wow your family with your awesome baking skills!

 Super simple chicken pot pie

Deliciousness achieved, and it only took a few minutes!

Next time you think you should just order pizza because you don’t have time to cook, think again.  For me to get enough pizza/fast food for my family of 8, I’m looking at a minimum of $20 if not $30.  Yikes!  Instead, I sucked it up for 5 minutes and put together a tasty dinner that was fairly healthy!

Cost of tonight’s tastiness:

Chicken – $2.00 (I buy leg quarters and roast them for cheap chicken for dishes)

Canned corn – $0.50

Canned green beans – $0.50

Evaporated milk – $0.50

Mashed potatoes – $1.00 (on sale w/ a coupon)

Carrots – $0.25 (buy the big bag, they keep for a while)

Squash – $0.65 ($1.29 for a pack of 4 at Aldi)

Biscuits – $1.00 (packs of 4 at Kroger for $2.00)

Total:  $6.40

Woot!  That’s for a good 8 servings, so only $0.80 per person!  I’ll take that over $30 in pizza any day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{Giveaway} Ross Dress for Less -- How far can $25 go?

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of making another trip to Ross Dress for Less, just in time to see all their back to school gear! Boy, was I blown away -- from organization and storage (things my nerdy-side craves!);  kitchen items (knife set w/kitchen shears $7.99), laundry ($11.99 for an iron and $5.99 for a collapsible ironing board), and  other household items -- perfect for the dorm room;  to outfits at unbeatable prices! Additionally, I saw some great baby items, at amazing prices, too!  Breathable crib bumper ($9.99) and MANY, MANY, MANY name brand, stylish diaper bags ($12.99) (...cute character shirts for the preschool crowd, too!) Minnie Mouse t-shirt - $4.99 And, naturally, I did a little retail therapy myself, AFM style !  (Translation: I raided the clearance rack.  Each top was under $7!) Would you like to shop at Ross? I'm excited to team up with a few great blogging pals to bring you a giveaway for a...

Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

Starting kindergarten is something I’ve gone through twice already with my own kiddos, and there’s definitely some things you can do to help prepare your kiddo for kindergarten, aside from simply ensuring they’re ready for kindergarten .  Getting your child ready for the first day of kindergarten can help make the day, and your morning, go smoothly.  Here are my best practical tips for making the first day of kindergarten a success! Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

Car Games for Kids

Morning car rides can be daunting if you’re not a morning person, and sometimes even if you ARE a morning person.  Although I believe it’s perfectly ok to let your kids be bored, I also believe it’s important to use moments together wisely.  So we tend to spend our morning car ride having conversations, and playing kids car games that help wake them up and keep them on their toes, AND it’s all done sans technology!  Here I delve beyond “Punch-Buggy Charlie” and the license plate game for some good no-tech car games for kids. Car Games for Kids 20 Questions  –  We each take a turn coming up with a person, place, or thing.  Then the other participants take turns asking yes or no questions to figure out what it is.  If we figure it out before the 20th question, we win; if not, then the person answering the questions wins.  This is a good exercise in making deductions and also figuring out good “category” questions.