Skip to main content

Roasted Corn Salad (WF copycat)

We went to Whole Foods last week (our monthly treat) and picked up some pretty tasty corn relish.  Kenneth and I ate almost the whole container in the car on the way home!  However, at $8.00 for a 16 ounce tub, it isn’t something I’ll be likely to purchase in the future.  Lucky for me, Whole Foods lists ALL of their ingredients on their deli item labels.  I ended up making a MUCH cheaper version that is absolutely delicious, and I think my husband just fell in love with me all over again.  ðŸ˜› Check it out, make it, tweak it to fit your style, and let me know what you think!

Roasted Corn Salad

Roasted Corn Salad

Ingredients:

6 c. of frozen sweet corn

1/2 c. oil (approximately, I forgot to measure!)

1 vidalia onion, diced

1/2 c. diced green bell pepper

1 Tbs minced fresh parsley

1 tsp minced fresh basil

2 garlic cloves, minced

3/4 c. halved cherry tomatoes

2 inch piece of jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

4 Tbs white wine vinegar

1 tsp lime juice

Directions:

1.  Toss corn in oil and spread out on a baking sheet.  Roast in oven on low broil until slightly browned.

2.  Remove from oven and mix with remaining ingredients.

3.  Try not to eat half the bowl immediately.

Roasted Corn Salad

Roasted Corn Salad

It is a REALLY simple recipe, but here are some shortcuts and tips to make it even easier.

-Let the corn thaw slightly before tossing with oil.  Otherwise you just end up with a big frozen chunk of corn.

-Put your parley, basil, jalapeno, and seeded jalapeno in the food processor.  Pulse until finely chopped.

-This salad is delish hot or cold, and is even better the second day.

-It’s not just a salad, try it on a taco or burger as well!

My version cost somewhere around $4-$5 to make about 10 cups.  That would have cost me $40 at Whole Foods!  This salad is definitely a keeper, I just need to remember to make 2x as much next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{Giveaway} Ross Dress for Less -- How far can $25 go?

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of making another trip to Ross Dress for Less, just in time to see all their back to school gear! Boy, was I blown away -- from organization and storage (things my nerdy-side craves!);  kitchen items (knife set w/kitchen shears $7.99), laundry ($11.99 for an iron and $5.99 for a collapsible ironing board), and  other household items -- perfect for the dorm room;  to outfits at unbeatable prices! Additionally, I saw some great baby items, at amazing prices, too!  Breathable crib bumper ($9.99) and MANY, MANY, MANY name brand, stylish diaper bags ($12.99) (...cute character shirts for the preschool crowd, too!) Minnie Mouse t-shirt - $4.99 And, naturally, I did a little retail therapy myself, AFM style !  (Translation: I raided the clearance rack.  Each top was under $7!) Would you like to shop at Ross? I'm excited to team up with a few great blogging pals to bring you a giveaway for a...

Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

Starting kindergarten is something I’ve gone through twice already with my own kiddos, and there’s definitely some things you can do to help prepare your kiddo for kindergarten, aside from simply ensuring they’re ready for kindergarten .  Getting your child ready for the first day of kindergarten can help make the day, and your morning, go smoothly.  Here are my best practical tips for making the first day of kindergarten a success! Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

Car Games for Kids

Morning car rides can be daunting if you’re not a morning person, and sometimes even if you ARE a morning person.  Although I believe it’s perfectly ok to let your kids be bored, I also believe it’s important to use moments together wisely.  So we tend to spend our morning car ride having conversations, and playing kids car games that help wake them up and keep them on their toes, AND it’s all done sans technology!  Here I delve beyond “Punch-Buggy Charlie” and the license plate game for some good no-tech car games for kids. Car Games for Kids 20 Questions  –  We each take a turn coming up with a person, place, or thing.  Then the other participants take turns asking yes or no questions to figure out what it is.  If we figure it out before the 20th question, we win; if not, then the person answering the questions wins.  This is a good exercise in making deductions and also figuring out good “category” questions.