Skip to main content

Read your SALES ADS carefully!

Take a moment and look at this snippet from this week's Walgreen's ad.  What do you notice?



Hopefully, you see that the "coupon" price of a single roll of tape is NOT cheaper than the 3-roll pack, featured right above!  In this instance, it's cheaper to pay twice as much because you get three times the product!  You'd pay $2.97 for 3 individual rolls with the couponed price, but only $1.99 for 3 rolls with the sale price.

Even utilizing currently available coupons, (namely $1/3 rolls, exp 11/18/11 SS), you're still better off with the 3-pack.  It's the difference between paying $1 for three after coupons, or $2 for 3 after coupons.

Check out these two excerpts from this week's Kroger ads for Hillshire Farms deli meat:



The above features the 8-9 oz packages, on sale for $2.99 each, and a participating item in Kroger's frequent $5 off 10 items promo.  But below is the 16 oz package for less than twice the price: 



Even with the current promo, the larger size meat is still cheaper than the smaller tubs, more prominently featured as a sales item.  For two 8-9 oz tubs, you'd pay $5.98, verses $4.99 for one 16 oz package.  

Granted, I understand that for some, buying the smaller tub may make sense, perhaps because you don't eat the meat fast enough before it goes bad. (But, my goodness!  This stuff does keep for a while!!)  Or perhaps your meat of choice is only available in the smaller size?  In any case, it always PAYS to look!

Just a cautionary point I wanted to pass on to you all this weekend, as a reminder to ALWAYS check the unit price of items you are purchasing, and learn to look beyond the shiny, bright newness of items on "sale"!!




Keep on saving!  :o)
--Barbara
**This post may contain affiliate links.**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{Giveaway} Ross Dress for Less -- How far can $25 go?

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of making another trip to Ross Dress for Less, just in time to see all their back to school gear! Boy, was I blown away -- from organization and storage (things my nerdy-side craves!);  kitchen items (knife set w/kitchen shears $7.99), laundry ($11.99 for an iron and $5.99 for a collapsible ironing board), and  other household items -- perfect for the dorm room;  to outfits at unbeatable prices! Additionally, I saw some great baby items, at amazing prices, too!  Breathable crib bumper ($9.99) and MANY, MANY, MANY name brand, stylish diaper bags ($12.99) (...cute character shirts for the preschool crowd, too!) Minnie Mouse t-shirt - $4.99 And, naturally, I did a little retail therapy myself, AFM style !  (Translation: I raided the clearance rack.  Each top was under $7!) Would you like to shop at Ross? I'm excited to team up with a few great blogging pals to bring you a giveaway for a...

Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

Starting kindergarten is something I’ve gone through twice already with my own kiddos, and there’s definitely some things you can do to help prepare your kiddo for kindergarten, aside from simply ensuring they’re ready for kindergarten .  Getting your child ready for the first day of kindergarten can help make the day, and your morning, go smoothly.  Here are my best practical tips for making the first day of kindergarten a success! Getting Ready for the First Day of Kindergarten

Car Games for Kids

Morning car rides can be daunting if you’re not a morning person, and sometimes even if you ARE a morning person.  Although I believe it’s perfectly ok to let your kids be bored, I also believe it’s important to use moments together wisely.  So we tend to spend our morning car ride having conversations, and playing kids car games that help wake them up and keep them on their toes, AND it’s all done sans technology!  Here I delve beyond “Punch-Buggy Charlie” and the license plate game for some good no-tech car games for kids. Car Games for Kids 20 Questions  –  We each take a turn coming up with a person, place, or thing.  Then the other participants take turns asking yes or no questions to figure out what it is.  If we figure it out before the 20th question, we win; if not, then the person answering the questions wins.  This is a good exercise in making deductions and also figuring out good “category” questions.